This post goes out today to my mother and father inlaw. My Dad was recently advised by his doctor that he needs to get his blood sugar down.
And as most doctors and dieticians might suggest, he was told to cut out the processed carbs that are typical of the SAD, Standard American Diet. While my parents eat much healthier than most, they still are looking for ideas on how to go about this ..
First thing I suggested was that they take a look at Dr. Neal Barnard’s program for reversing diabetes.
It’s not all carbs that need cutting !!
Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes outlines a completely new dietary approach to preventing, controlling, and even reversing diabetes. The program is based on a series of research studies Dr. Barnard and his colleagues have conducted over the years. Published in the August 2006 issue of Diabetes Care, that study found Dr. Barnard’s program to be three times more effective than the American Diabetes Association dietary guidelines at controlling blood sugar.
The studies also show that by adopting a low-fat vegetarian diet—free of all animal products and added vegetable oils—individuals can lower their cholesterol, reduce their blood pressure, and lose weight. Best of all, the diet doesn’t demand one count calories, cut portion sizes, or give up all carbohydrates. On the contrary, you can eat as much as you want.
The book explains how the diet actually alters what goes on in an individual’s cells. Rather than just compensate for malfunctioning insulin, like other treatment plans, Dr. Barnard’s program helps repair how the body uses insulin. It also includes helpful tips on adopting a plant-based diet and more than 50 delicious and easy-to-make recipes.
In a recent article in Vegetarian Times, Dr. Barnard states: “Some people have suggested that carbs ought to be fattening because of the glucose they contain. When a carbohydrate molecule breaks apart in your digestive tract, glucose enters you bloodstream; glucose stimulates the release of insulin, which escorts glucose (and energy) to the body’s cells. The theory is that this insulin release promotes weight gain. What the theory’s proponents are forgetting is that insulin release is triggered by proteins too. Just as insulin helps glucose center cells, it does the same for the amino acids that are the building blocks of protein. So it turns out that fish, beef, eggs and cheese trigger as much, IF NOT MORE, insulin secretion as many high-carb foods.”
The only other suggestion I could offer, was to start the day off right, with whole foods, beans, grains & veggies.
And one of my favorite ways to do this is with a Western Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito (recipe below). It’s super easy, and deliciously nutritious and filling ….
I sure hope you’ll give scrambled tofu a try the next time scrambled eggs may come to mind. And please check out my breakfast recipe index for more great morning meal ideas!
Chow! Until next time ….
- ½ lb. extra firm tofu, vacuum packed, drained
- ½ package Fantastic World Foods Tofu Scrambler
- 1 cup Shaved/Minced Veggies of your liking:
- - Green Onions, chopped
- - Red &/or Green Bell Pepper
- - Broccoli Crown
- - Zucchini
- - Spinach or Kale
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tortillas, pan fried
- 1 tablespoons salsa, per burrito
- ½ slice veggie cheeze, per burrito
- Prepare your veggies, cutting to a small dice. I always use green onion and peppers (and keep a baggie full in the freezer), then add whatever else I have on hand.
- Add a small drizzle of olive oil to a medium sized skillet. Over medium high heat, sauté the veggies until just tender.
- Crumble in the tofu by hand and sprinkle in the Tofu Scrambler Mix. Continue to break up the tofu with a spatula, then press the scrambled tofu down into the skillet. Let is sauté for 2-3 minutes until browned. Flip the tofu over, and press down again, to lightly brown the other side, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, pan fry your tortilla over medium high heat, 2 minutes until the top of the tortilla starts to expand.
- Flip it over, add in your cheeze and salsa. Heat for one minute. Remove tortilla to your plate.
- Top with Tofu Scramble, fold in one end, and roll up.
- Repeat with 2nd tortilla. Breakfast is served!
* I make my own Homemade Scrambler (use half of this in the recipe): 1 packet of hemp instant oat meal, 2 teaspoons Turmeric, 2 teaspoons of your favorite Herbed Seasoning (I use Penzey's Green Goddess), ½ teaspoon salt, and a pinch black pepper.
* Refrigerate leftover tofu in a container, covered with fresh water, for 3-4 days.
Click to Purchase via Amazon: