Today I share with you one of my all-time favorite comfort foods: A Makeover Nacho Beef Bake using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.
Plus, I’m sharing an added bonus, which I created this morning for breakfast out of the leftovers:
A Vegan Taco Bell Mexican Pizza!
It’s all Plant-Based, healthy, Mexican Goodness, that your family will LOVE !!
As with many of my recipes, this one is easily adaptable to satisfy both the vegans, and the remaining meat and dairy eaters in the family, using a base set of ingredients.
Makeover Crescent Roll Nacho Beef Bake
The original casserole recipe can be found here:
Typically, in the past, I’ve prepared my plant-based adaption much the same way as my inspiration recipe: In casserole form.
But this usually makes more than Spencer & I can finish in one sitting (and I say usually!). Any refrigerated leftovers tend to be pretty soggy.
So last night, I changed the recipe up a bit, and made individual Crescent Roll Bowls, to place the meaty topping in.
And for those cooking in mixed households, the bowls allow plant-based and meat versions to stay in their own space!
I’m going to give this recipe to you more in the form of a Concept Recipe.
There really is no right or wrong way to make it!
It’s all good !! But here’s the basics, that you can adapt to your own liking ….
First – Make the Meaty Filling:
Last night, I tried out a new Seitan product I found locally at Fruit Bowl: Sweet Earth’s Chipotle Style Ground Seitan (or soy-free wheat meat). It was delicious! But use whatever mexican-seasoned ground veggie burger you like.
- I start by sauteeing up some onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Add in some sliced black olives if you like.
- Last night, I added a couple sliced sun-dried tomatoes just for kicks.
- Stir in the 8oz package of pre-cooked seitan,
- Add 1/2 can of rinsed black beans
- Last, add 1/3 cup or so of bloody mary mix. (Of course you can use tomato sauce or juice, but this is what I already had open).
Stir and heat until condensed down a bit. Cover and keep warm.
I am totally in love with this Dip I recently found over on Veg Web. I make the powdered sauce mix up in bulk now, with a few added spices. Sauces come together literally in seconds!
Simply mix nutritional yeast, flour, salt, paprika and garlic powder together. Whisk in some water, then add in vegan margarine and salsa.
Get the Nutritional Yeast Queso Dip here … It’s a life-changer !!!!!
Third – Bake your Pillsbury Crescent Roll Bowls:
Last year, I found these really cool Tortilla Pans at Walmart.
Not only do I use them for making tortilla shells, but I also use them for individual pot-pies and cobblers.
Click here or on the Photo to buy via Amazon!
At only $5.99 for a set of 4, they’re a must have!!
For this recipe, cut the Pillsbury Dough roll in 4 equal squares. Coat Tortilla Pans with cooking spray, and place 1/4 sheet dough in each pan. Press the dough up the sides, and into the grooves. Cook dough bowls in a preheated 375° oven for 8-10 minutes until browned.
If you don’t happen to have these cool little pans yet, you can always use regular oven-proof glass bowls. Turn bowl upside down, and place the dough on the outside, around the bottom of the bowl.
Fourth – Assemble and Dig In!
- Gently remove the bowls from the pan.
- Fill with Meaty Bean Filling
- Top with a generous spoonful of Cheezy Queso Sauce.
- Top with shredded lettuce, sliced green onion, grape tomatoes, black olives, diced jalapeno, cilantro, veggie sour cream, a slice of lime, and crunched tortilla chips.
Fill your glass with a cold margarita, and dig in !!
Use up the Leftovers
Last night, I only made up two bowls, so I had some leftover meaty filling and queso dip. As I looked in my fridge this morning to make breakfast, the mexican craving overtook me !!
Back in my lacto-ovo days, when I visited stateside, going to Taco Bell for Mexican Pizza was a must !!!
So I thought, why not make my own Taco Bell Brunch today !?!?!?
Same ingredients, just a little different concept:
- Lightly pan-fry two tortillas for each pizza
- Mash the other 1/2 can of black beans & mix with any leftover Meaty Filling
- Spread bottom tortilla with the bean mash. Drizzle with Taco Bell Hot Sauce and a sprinkle of seasoning salt.
- Top with second tortilla.
- Spread on a thin layer of Cheezy Queso Dip
- Top with diced tomato, black olives and green onion.
- Optional (as shown): Spencer topped his with Daiya Cheeze and more white onion.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes until warmed through, and tortilla begin to brown on the edges.
From my kitchen to yours, I truly hope these easy, kind & comforting recipes become family favorites! Buen apetito !!
- MEATY FILLING:
- ½ small onion, minced
- ¼ small green pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 handful black olives, quartered lenthwise
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 8 oz package mexi-seasoned ground seitan or veggie burger, such as Sweet Earth
- ½ can black beans, rinsed & drained
- ⅓ cup tomato juice/sauce/bloody mary mix
- BOWL & TOPPINGS:
- 1 sheet Pillsbury Cresent Rolls
- 1 recipe Cheezy Nutritional Yeast Queso Sauce
- Assorted Toppings:
- shredded lettuce, sliced green onion, sliced grape tomatoes, sliced black olives, cilantro, veggie sour cream, a slice of lime, and crunched tortilla chips.
- Make the Meaty Filling: Sautee onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add in some sliced black olives and sun dried tomatoes if you like, and sautee a minute longer. Stir in the 8oz package of pre-cooked seitan. Add ½ can of rinsed black beans and a ⅓ cup or so of tomato sauce. Stir and heat until condensed down a bit. Cover and keep warm.
- Make a Cheezy Nutritional Yeast Queso Dip:
- Recipe here: http://vegweb.com/recipes/nutritional-yeast-queso-sauce
- Bake your Pillsbury Crescent Roll Bowls: For this recipe, cut the Pillsbury Dough roll in 4 equal portions. Coat Tortilla Pans or oven proof bowls with cooking spray, and place ¼ sheet Pillsbury in each pan. Press the dough up the sides, and into the grooves. Cook dough bowls in a preheated 375° oven for 8-10 minutes until browned.
- Lastly, assemble and Dig In! Gently remove the bowls from the pan. Fill with Meaty Bean Filling. Top with a generous spoonful of Cheezy Queso Sauce. Layer on salad toppings to your liking, and sprinkle with crushed corn chips.
- Leftovers make for a delicious Taco Bell Mexican Pizza. See my website for instructions.